Monday 30 June 2014

Soldier Crab Houses

I’ve seen lots of soldier crabs recently, all with regular discarded crab shells of various sizes, colors and shapes as their “home”, but a few days ago, I saw one wearing a shell that topped the lot.

I was putting out food for the tortoises, which the soldier crabs and red crabs share, when I saw a large “snail” walking around. I had to do a double take as this shell was just not moving like a snail. Then I realized that the giant african snail shell was occupied by a large soldier crab. How cool is that!

I watched for a while before proceeding with my other chores, and so sorry folks, but I didn’t have my camera with me … as seems to happen when I see the really cool stuff.

I know soldier crabs will inhabit all kinds of different things as their mobile home, but this was definitely a first for anything other than a snail occupying a giant african snail shell. A much better use that sitting empty and collecting water in which mosquitos can breed.


If you’d like to read more about Barbados, please visit my other blog, Things Barbados.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know they did that. Interesting and a bit scary!

    ReplyDelete