Monday 2 June 2014

Blooming Barbados



The photo above shows a huge bougainvillea bush that is blooming magnificently. This is what I mean when I talk about flowering during the dry season. Notice the very brown grass that is not actually dead, just very very dry. Once we’ve had a few showers of rain, that grass will turn green almost overnight.

Everything is covered in flowers like this at the moment and more still coming into bloom. I saw a yellow flamboyant yesterday that is just starting to flower. A week from now it will be absolutely covered in lemon yellow flowers.

I would imagine that a similar thing is happening throughout the Caribbean at the moment as everywhere has been experiencing very dry weather, something that helps bring out an abundance of flowers. 

One of my cacti has put out five flower stalks - I can’t wait to see them all. Last year we got three. And if they happened to open together ... oh my, what a sight that would be. The flowers only last a few hours, opening around 9 pm and then closing shortly after dawn. I check progress daily.


If you’d like to read more about Barbados, please visit my other blog, Things Barbados.

1 comment:

  1. It always amazes me how the Bougainvillea blooms, even in the driest conditions.

    I'm looking forward to the Flamboyant season, the prettiest time of the year in Barbados in my opinion. I've seen a few starting to flower but most are suffering badly from the lack of rain. Hoping for some showers soon.

    ReplyDelete