Monday 16 June 2014

Budding Ball Cactus



My ball cactus obviously likes where it is located as it is set up to flower again, and this time, there are eight buds coming. The first one (maybe two) will open either tonight or tomorrow night. Once the flowers start to move it all happens very quickly, so I have to remember to look out around eight or nine o’clock tonight to check progress and snap some shots.

It looks like the opening of the other six buds will also be staggered. Wouldn’t it be amazing if all eight opened at the same time?


To think that I found the original ball growing wild in the hills on the east coast of Barbados. It was just about an inch in diameter, and within three months of putting it in a pot, the first flower was out. I was really surprised that it flowered so quickly. That was three years ago. It’s gone from one flower the first year (around October of that year), to eight magnificent specimens this year. And yes, I know they will all be magnificent. And it’s in the same pot in the same location - I would not dream of moving it.

I'll add a couple more pics as the flowers open. And here are the flowers in all their glory taken around 6 o'clock this morning.




If you’d like to read more about Barbados, please visiting my other blog, Things Barbados

No comments:

Post a Comment