Friday 3 October 2014

Purple Patrea



I remember seeing a lot of these when I was a child, and we had a huge plant growing in our yard, that would put out this splendid covering of purple flowers. Then they seemed to disappear   - I think they just went out of favor as tastes changed.

Now, these magnificent plants are coming back in again. I don’t know if they’re easy to grow or not, or how quickly, but they certainly turn heads when the flowers come out.

The leaves are quite coarse, and I don’t think the flowers do particularly well in a vase, but oh my, they do add a splash of colour to the garden.

Bees and wasps love them, so be warned if you’re planning to get up and personal with a specimen. There no particular fragrance from the flowers either, it’s just colour colour colour.


If you’d like to read more about Barbados, please visit my other blog, Things Barbados.

No comments:

Post a Comment