Monday 8 July 2013

Praying Mantis (Mantodea)


We get quite a lot of Praying Mantises around our home - not inside as we are fully screened, but on the deck or in the front yard. The one shown here is just about two inches in length and is a very nondescript brown, which have been excellent camouflage if it had been on a plant, but it stool out like a sore thumb on the mesh surrounding my deck.

I’ve never seen a green Praying Mantis here in Barbados, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist, nor I have seen any of the species that are larger than the little guy shown here, but again, that doesn’t mean they aren’t around. I don’t think that a week goes by that I don’t spot some kind of insect that I haven’t seen before.




Recently, I saw a tiny bug that looked like a ladybug except that it had gold stripes rather than red dots. It was spectacular but I couldn’t get the camera in time to grab a shot. Maybe next time.

What can I say about this little guy. He/she didn’t move - they don’t unless you prod them with a finger or twig - they have to maintain cover. One of my cats likes to investigate them, but soon gets bored because they don’t do anything.

I know they feed on smaller insects, so I like them around in the hope that they will eat the sandflies than can torment us humans early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Anything that will eat those is good by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment