Friday 5 July 2013

Golden Ball Cactus






I found this cactus growing in the hills on the east coast of Barbados about two years ago. I managed to get one ball off of the mother plant without getting stabbed by the spines, and put it in a pot when I got home. Within two months it had put out it’s first flower, a stunning pure white specimen, and was thriving.




Now, almost two years later, it has put out another flower and there are two more buds coming. The photographs here were taken over a 48 hour period - once the flower started to come out things moved very quickly. And, as with so many cacti, it did not open until after dark and by dawn, the flower had already started to close.




Finding a cactus growing wild in Barbados is quite unusual, but there were some houses a couple hundred yards away, so it probably came from one of those at some point in time, but there is no reason why it won’t thrive there too.




I am delighted with my find and think the flower is so delicate and lovely. I can’t wait to see the remaining two buds emerge in a couple of weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment