Monday 19 August 2013

Sugar Apple (Annona squamosa)


I have grown up my entire life eating sugar apples, and my parents used to have a tree in their yard, which, alas, is no more. I can’t remember if it died or was removed to make room for another fruit tree.




Sugar apple, as the name implies is a very sweet fruit that is made up of many white segments, each of which contains a large smooth black seed. The leaves are dark green and feel like sandpaper.




Looking at the images here, each of those bumps on the skin corresponds to a fleshy segment that makes good eating. The skin is thick, rough and grainy, but the ripe fruit just pulls apart, and you can eat the segments straight from the broken fruit or scoop them out with a spoon. It’s not something that you want to be eating in a hurry either.




I haven’t had a sugar apple for a while - it’s not something that you see selling in the supermarket, and I no longer know anyone with a tree - that boils down to no sugar apples for me.

Unfortunately, sugar apple is attacked by various blights and ants - maybe that’s why there aren’t as many of these trees around any more. I don’t know, but what I do know, is that if I’m offered sugar apples, I will gratefully accept and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! No words. You always go one step beyond.

    There is so much great, useful information here. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    Read our guide if you wish.
    petreviewz

    Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete