Monday 22 October 2018

Butterflies Everywhere





This year again we have had a multitude of wonderful butterflies of all colours and sizes. This is just one of the many shown in these photos. I was lucky enough to snap this as it settled on a Silver Dollar bush in the east of the island, but there were so many others that I was just not quick enough to get.

Some are just tiny, with a wing span of about 5/8” with pale yellow wings or pale lavendar wings and even darker brown wings. They seemed to come out of the ground cover in clouds as I walked through various “weeds”. 

We’ve also had lots of the slightly larger almost white butterflies, pale yellow, a magnificent buttery yellow and even golden yellow, but these seem to be slightly less abundant. I have a white sage plant in a pot on my deck where I can sit and watch them come and go as they feed on the nectar of these flowers. I’ve also seen them in abundance on yellow sage, pink sage and just about any colour sage shrub.


My garlic chive that is flowering profusely also seems to be very appealing to some of the butterflies, particularly the ones shown here. If you really want to see our local butterflies, you will need to take a drive past areas that are not quite as developed and built up and therefore with more “bush” and uncultivated spaces.


No comments:

Post a Comment