Monday 23 February 2015

Reef Life in Barbados


When people think of Barbados, the first thing that comes to mind is not usually fabulous reefs and marine environments, however, there is a lot to look at and it’s improving all the time as steps are taken to preserve our reefs.

I visited the Drill Hall Beach (on the south coast) recently at low tide and was so amazed at how much there was to see on the reef without getting my feet wet. This would not have been the case at high tide.


There were all sorts of well camouflaged tiny fish that were the colour of the sand, but if you looked closely you could spot one darting under a rock. I saw sea urchins, sea centipedes and sea spiders and, to my untrained eye, they all seemed healthy.

I did not go in the sea, but I am quite sure that if I were suitably attired and donned my snorkeling gear, I would have been equally impressed with what I saw on the reef further from shore.


If you’d like to read more about Barbados, please visit my other blog, Things Barbados.

No comments:

Post a Comment