Wednesday 22 January 2014

Orchids & Barbados




Barbados has a flourishing Orchid Society and many enthusiastic orchid lovers. Not only are orchids exhibited in the Barbados Horticultural Society Flower Show (25 and 26 January 2014), but the Barbados Orchid Society also hosts their own show in March.

Not to be forgotten for lovers of these amazing plants is Barbados Orchid World, where thousands of different orchids are grown and displayed year round. This attraction is located in the center of the island, is well sign posted, marked on maps and is well known by taxi and bus drivers, so it’s easy to find. It’s even practical if you’re just visiting for a day on a cruise ship.

My personal experience of growing orchids is limited, though I have attached two to a tree stump behind my home. They seem to be growing, so I’ll just have to wait and see what flowers appear - I’ve forgotten what they are now. Also sprouting up next to the stump is a young pawpaw (papaya) tree - presumably from seeds dropped by either birds or monkeys.


If you’d like to read more about Barbados, please visit my other blog, Things Barbados.

No comments:

Post a Comment