Tuesday 31 December 2013

A Cloud of Dragonflies

I live in a two-storey building, and there’s a huge tree about 50 feet behind my home - I think it’s taller than my building now. Anyhow, this morning as I’m sitting on the deck enjoying my breakfast, I see this cloud of dragonflies (I don’t know what you call a large number of dragonflies collected together) about equidistant between my home and the tree.

I’ve seen them there before - I guess that air funnels between the building and the tree and there must be something particularly appealing about it to dragonflies. Every few minutes some from the front drop back and others take up the lead - much as in a bicycle peloton. 

The dragonfly cloud will be there for hours from morning until well into the afternoon. If I’m really lucky, sometimes one will come really close and I can see the iridescent reds or greens or blues from just a few feet away. They really are quite lovely. I feel quite privileged when I am lucky enough to see them at such close quarters.


If you’d like to read more about Barbados, please visit my other blog, Things Barbados.

No comments:

Post a Comment