Monday 23 September 2013

Wild Crocus


I don’t actually know very much about the Wild Crocus growing on Barbados, except that most people think of them as weeds and try to rid their property of them. The ones pictured here grew up in a pot in my yard and are thriving, and I think, look quite lovely - the striking yellow of the delicate flower works for me.




You can frequently see them growing along the side of the road too, particularly in more rural areas. The flowers seem to be at their best early in the morning, and then fade and close as the day wears on.

After the flower comes the three lobed seed pod, which will eventually dry up and burst open to release the seeds to be dispersed by the wind.




I’ve only ever seen the wild crocuses with yellow flowers, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist on the island in other colours, but I do think the yellow is quite stunning and beautiful.

If you'd like to read more about Barbados, you may be interested to look at my other blog, Things Barbados.

No comments:

Post a Comment